This recipe makes about 3 cups and is best prepared a few hours in advance and chilled in the fridge.
- 2 fresh ears of corn (remove husks and as much silk as possible)
- 1-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter melted
- 2 large ripe tomatoes – cut in quarters, remove as much seeds as possible and tough core, then slice in small pieces around a 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 small red onion – diced very fine pieces
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper – remove the seeds and ribs, then dice very fine pieces
- 1 garlic clove – peeled and finely chopped or use a tiny bit of crushed garlic from a jar
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves (fresh) – diced in small pieces
- 1/4 cup of black beans – rinsed and drained well from can
- 1/2 ripe avocado – diced in small pieces
- 1/2 lime – juiced into mixed ingredients at the end
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Cook Corn
- Pre-heat oven to broil
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and then lay on a cooling rack on pan (ok to skip cooling rack but it does help the corn cook better)
- Using a brush, coat the corn with butter
- Lay corn on cooling rack if using
- Place in oven on shelf about a third down from broil heating element for 20-25 minutes – turn every five minutes until corn is lightly brown. Once corn is cool take a knife and remove corn from ear.
- As corn is roasting place all the ingredients (but lime, salt and pepper) into a large bowl and stir
- Then when ready add cooked corn, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste stirring well all ingredients.
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes but preferably 2-3 hours before serving.
Serve with chips or turn into a meal over rice with some roasted shrimp or other protein.
Roasted Corn Before Cutting Off Cob