I came across this recipe in a kid’s cookbook -50 Recipes for Kids to Cook. Thumbs up!
The cupcake bottom was particularly tasty and likely could be used for other recipes
- 1/2 cup of butter (soften on counter some before starting)
- 1 cup of sugar (the book says superfine but regular is fine) – Divided 1/2 Cup + 1/2 Cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of self-raising flour *
- 1 tsp. baking powder (recipe calls for this even though it also calls for self raising flour)
- Grated rind of 2 lemons – Divided 1/2 + 1/2
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 eggs whites
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Cream butter and sugar until soft. I used an electric mixture through step 4 but book shows a young kid doing it by hand.
- Add 1/2 cup super and continue to beat until smooth and creamy
- Beat in the eggs, flour, baking powder, half the lemon rind and all the lemon juice
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins (makes around 12 large or 18ish small)
- Clean mixing bowl if used in steps 2-4 above
- Whisk eggs in a clean bowl until soft peaks (when you lift out the whisk they should stand in peaks that just slightly flop over)
- Stir in remaining sugar and lemon rind
- Pour a spoonful of meringue mixture each cake
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the meringue crisp and brown
- Serve cake hot or cold. Storing overnight in sealed container worked for 2 days, not more.
* If you do not want to buy self-raising flour I did find some websites that offer ways to make it.
SELF-RISING FLOUR: ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR + BAKING POWDER + SALT
Add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt to one cup of all-purpose flour