I tried this Applesauce BBQ dish recently from a women named Lori. I was very intrigued by her concept of making 40 Meals/4 Hours Recipe Collection and this was one of them. I have also tried her orange chicken recipe and that was pretty tasty as well. I prepped both chicken dishes the same day freezing the chicken for the BBQ for a later date. (What a helpful tip). However move the frozen chicken to the fridge at least 24 hours before using it. I used chicken breasts for the recipe sited below as it calls for that. My husband and brother-in-law clearly would have preferred the dish made with thighs. I personally like white meat better but each to his own. I am sure the dish made with your preference will turn out great either way. I made this dish in my : All-Clad 7-Qt. Deluxe Slow Cooker with Cast Aluminum Insert from Williams-Sonoma. If you have the money, this is an awesome slow cooker. The insert comes out and can be used to brown meat on a burner and it can go in the oven. It is a time saver and the cleanup is always easy using this gadget.
Lori’s recipes – 40 – http://whoneedsacape.com/2012/11/crockpot-freezer-cooking/
The Crock Pot Applesauce BBQ Chicken Dish (Note she credits this recipe to someone else herself)
Ingredients – sized for the way I made it.
- 3 pounds of breasts cut in large chunks)
- 1 t ground pepper
- 2/3 cup times 2 of chunky applesauce – I used regular and threw in some peeled diced apple chunks for 1 apple
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce times 2 (I used Wegmans)
- 4 Tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of chili powder
- Spray Crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, or use a Crockpot liner for easy clean-up. With my slow cooker I skipped this step and had no problems.
- Place chicken breasts on bottom.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together, and pour over chicken. I then stirred the chicken and sauce some so some stuff was below the chicken layer.
- The sourced recipe calls for 6-8 hours on crock pot low setting. Serves 8+. I found after 5 hours the chicken was more than done and suggest not cooking it as long as the recipe calls for.
- I served over rice.
Williams-Sonoma Slow Cooker: